These beautifully crafted pulleys are the newest addition to our supercharger pulley range which have been one of our best-sellers. With sales being made all around the world since 1985, and intense development on our MINI pulleys since 2005, it just goes to show what sort of high standards we have maintained here at KAVS Motorsport throughout the years. It also shows that our products are tried, tested and trusted world wide. And now? We have designed and manufactured what we believe to be our best MINI Cooper S pulley yet.
So, what is a reduced supercharger pulley?
Unlike a turbocharger, which is propelled by high pressure exhaust gas, a supercharger is driven by a belt connected to the crankshaft. You therefore do not suffer the effects of ‘turbo-lag’ (where there are not enough exhaust gases to compress the quantity of air required lower down in the rev range). The MINI supercharger is the Eaton M45; which is a roots blower. This means that within the turbine housing, two specially crafted lobes with minimal clearance of one another spin in order to compress air, which then passes through the horn, in to the intercooler, out the other side and in to the head and cylinder block. The way the lobes spin is that two cogs interlink at one end outside of the main air-flow path, and connect to a pulley on the outside of the turbine housing.
This is where it gets interesting.
As this pulley is driven by a belt connecting it to a crank, the lobes spin at a rate that compresses enough air to keep the engine running smooth. The best part is that by reducing this supercharger pulley, an extremely simple modification, you can easily make the lobes spin even faster; which means more compressed air to mix fuel with. Once this has been done, it results in a bigger combustion and a lot more power.
It’s worth noting at this point, that in order to build a reliable engine, it is advised that you build it up as a complete package. As such an uprated intercooler such as the KAVS Motorsport Chargecooler perfectly complements your reduced supercharger pulley. By making the supercharger work harder, it means there is a lot more air to cool which the standard intercooler will struggle to efficiently cool; especially in countries with a relatively hot climate. Bear in mind that MINI themselves felt the need to upgrade the standard intercooler when they released the limited edition Cooper S GP, which was fitted with just an 11% reduced supercharger pulley (as well as the upgraded intercooler).
As with all our products, you don’t need to be building a fully prepped track car to benefit from our large range of premium parts.
Here are just a few reasons why you could benefit from a KAVS Motorsport Reduced Supercharger Pulley:
- Becuase the supercharger now spins faster than normal, you can expect to see more torque; especially lower down in the rev range.
- If you don’t alter your driving style, you should see an increase in fuel economy.
- A reduced supercharger pulley is one of the most cost effective modifications for a supercharged car, and can lead to big performance gains.
- Our pulleys are significantly cheaper than most (if not all) or our direct competitors – and we have never compromised on quality.
- Although we are cheaper than these competitors, we have received lots of feedback telling us how:
- Our pulleys are easier to install and change with our exclusive 2-piece design concept. Pulley sizes can be changed in just one hour!
- Perfect for changing your pulley:
- For different seasons; in colder months, you could run a smaller pulley for more power. Hotter months, run something slightly more sensible, although still smaller than stock.
- For racing; if you don’t want to run a really small pulley on the road, you could run one of our less extreme pulleys for the road and then a severely reduced pulley on the track
- (However, we would recommend seeing your local MINI specialist for tuning options to make whatever pulley you are running work efficiently with your engine.)
- Our pulleys are of superior quality to other brands.
- The central reel that the belt wraps around is a lot ‘kinder’ to the supercharger belt which, if it snaps, can cause significant damage to your engine.
- When combined with other quality components to build a complete engine package, you can expect to see big power gains over factory performance figures.
- A rare double-edge design on the pulley to help preserve the life of your supercharger belt.
At KAVS Motorsport, we have listened to the invaluable feedback from our customers in order to improve our products. This has seen changes in the design and function of the KAVS Motorsport Reduced Supercharger Pulley, and one of the biggest changes has been the size of our range.
We can provide you with any of the following ‘percentage’ of reductions over the standard supercharger pulley:
- 11%, 13%, 14%, 15%, 16%, 17%, 18%, 19% and 20% are all kept in stock as direct replacements
- 5% and 10% pulleys have been added to our range by customer request for those doing twin-charge projects (supercharger and turbocharger in the same car).
- Custom: Do you have something else in mind? Would you like something a little tamer? Or possibly something extreme? Contact us – we can manufacture any size you realistically desire (within reason).
With the KAVS Motorsport Reduced Supercharger Pulley, there really are plenty of opportunities to upgrade your engine package.
- Why not combine your new supercharger pulley with our KAVS Motorsport Enlarged Crank Pulley or even a KAVS Motorsport Enlarged Alternator Pulley.
- Upgrade your intercooler to a KAVS Motorsport Chargecooler.
- Upgrade your belt so that your new pulley doesn’t struggle with a larger belt. We use and supply Gates belts which are reknowned as “The world’s most trusted name in belts.”
- If you already have a KAVS Motorsport Reduced Supercharger Pulley MKII, or if you intend to buy a few to swap, once you’ve purchased the main 2-piece unit, you only need to purchase the outer of the two pieces to change the size of your pulley. This is thanks to our innovative design.
- If you would like to purchase a few different sized parts so you can interchange them freely, please contact us with your requirements. We’d be more than happy to help.
Another important thing to assess before finalising your purchase is what do you want from this upgrade? We are asked a lot of the time what the ‘best’ size is.
- Do you want better fuel economy?
- Do you want a small performance gain?
- A moderate performance gain?
- Or a huge performance gain?
We only ask this because there is no correct answer as to what the ‘best’ size is. That’s down to you and what you want from this purchase. We are more than happy to guide you in the right direction, but it’s best to have a good idea of what you’re after beforehand.
The KAVS Motorsport Reduced Supercharger Pulley MKIIs are manufactured on our CNC lathes out of high quality steel. They all come powder coated in a nice stealth gloss black on the outer piece – helping your engine bay remain discreet, with the inside piece coming with a galvanic coat.
Last, but certainly not least, we are so confident you’ll be happy with our products that you get a Lifetime Warranty on all of our KAVS Motorsport Reduced Supercharger Pulley MKIIs, offering you peace of mind with every purchase.
Every pulley is also subject to strict quality control tests which adhere to the high ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 14001:2004 standards.
|% pulley||Supercharger size mm||Our size||Engine rpm||Charger rpm|